– BA, University of the Witwatersrand, 2004
– LLB, University of the Witwatersrand, 2006
– Competition Economics Winter-School: Lessons from Key South African cases, University of Johannesburg, 2013
– Competition Law postgraduate certificate, University of the Witwatersrand, 2015
– Women in Leadership, Organizational Leadership, Wits Business School, 2019
Mmadika is a competition law specialist. Her experience includes advising on merger control, prohibited practice matters, compliance as well as conducting due diligence. She also assists clients during dawn raids and in responding to summonses issued by the competition authorities. She has assessed, prepared and notified merger notifications across Sub-Saharan Africa, including to the COMESA Competition Commission, a regional regulator on the continent. She has conducted compliance audits and developed compliance programmes for various companies. She has worked across the consumer, energy and infrastructure, health, mining, transport and the telecommunications, media and technology sectors.
Mmadika has 14 years post admission experience in competition law. As a candidate attorney, she advised on commercial/corporate law, litigation and commercial litigation transactions.
Mmadika has BA and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand. Mmadika has held various Board positions in the legal and engineering sectors.
Company Name: TGR Attorneys
Period: April 2015 to August 2016
Company Name: Lidwala Consulting Engineers
Period: October 2018 to November 2018
Company Name: Webber Wentzel sub-committees (Africa Coordination Committee, Gender Strategy
Committee, Catering Committeee Mmadika and Transformation Committee)
Period: September 2016 to date
- Mmadika has previously advised / acted for:
- Thebe Renewable Energy Holdings (RF) in respect of its acquisition of Phembani Solar Energy 1, Shanduka Black Umbrellas Energy, Phembani Renewables and Pulida Energy (RF).
- Main Street 1518 and Phembani Group in relation to restructuring of Phembani for the purposes of facilitating a listing of Phembani on the stock exchange operated by JSE through Main Street 1378.
- Off The Shelf Investments 56 (RF) in respect of its acquisition of Chevron South Africa.
- SerEli Holdings in its acquisition of Freestate Petroleum Distributors.and Metabis Properties.
- Zizwe Opencast Mining in acquiring sole control over the Fraser Alexander Bulk Mechanisation Division, a division of Fraser Alexander.
- Kevro Trading in acquiring sole control over Blazing Fortune 62 t/a Hightide Print.
- Lenmed Health in acquiring sole control over eThekwini Hospital and Heart Centre as a result of a share buyback transaction between eThekwini and Goldenwood Investments.
- AgriGroupe Holdings in relation to the acquisition of AFGRI.
- Newshelf 1167 (controlled Reldann Investment, which is ultimately controlled United National Breweries
SA) when acquired by Diageo Africa B.V.
- Telkom SA in complaint proceedings related to cartel conduct, abuse of dominance and price discrimination.
- the Competition Commission in relation to preparing the record in the Vodacom / Neotel merger.
- Bridgestone South Africa in relation to complaint proceedings initiated by the Competition Commission.
- Chevron SA in a complaint referral relating to commercial diesel.
- Veyance Technologies Inc. when acquired by Continental Aktiengesellschaft.
- Cummins in relation to its acquisition by Faurecia.
- Evraz Highveld Steel and Vanadium, Telkom SA and AFGRI Operations in respect of various matters in responding to summonses from the Competition Commission.
- the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa (IDC) in the Dorbyl acquisition and the IDC / Kalagadi transaction in requesting an advisory opinion from the Competition Commission.
- GSI in settling with the Competition Commission in the context of a cartel investigation.
- Genorah Resources in relation to the acquisition by Jin Jiang Mining.
- both parties in relation to the acquisition by the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa
of China Africa Motors.
- the consortium of shareholders including the Public Investment Corporation and the Pan African Infrastructure Development Fund in its acquisition of Lanseria International Airport and Execujet Airline Investments.
- Mango Airlines SOC in dawn raid proceedings.
- both parties in relation to the acquisition of Omnicom Inc. by Publicis Groupe SA.
- Own Your Life Rewards in complaint proceedings referred to the Competition Commission by Fit-SA.
- Preparing a submission to the National Energy Regulator in respect of Sasol Gas application for a maximum price of piped gas and for transmission tariff.
- Shoprite Checkers in relation to the acquisition of Transfarm.
- Steinhoff International Holdings in relation to the acquisition of Pepkor Holdings.
- both parties in relation to the acquisition of 1time Airline by Fastjet Plc.
- Protea Coin Group (Security Services) and the Airports Company South Africa in relation to interim relief applications.
- South African Airways SOC in relation to code share agreements.
- Transnet SOC in conducting compliance review and training.
- various clients in submitting merger notifications to the various competition authorities in Sub-Saharan Africa, including in Namibia and Botswana and with the regional regulator, the COMESA Competition Commission.